Have you ever, for some reason or another, needed to access your computer at home while you were at work? Maybe for some photos, or an important document? It’s actually easier than it sounds, and doesn’t require you to have to frantically rush home during your break! There are a variety of methods you can use to connect remotely to a computer, some of which we will describe below:
How to use Windows Remote Desktop
For this method to work, you will need to be on the same network as the computer you want to access.
- Access the Start Menu and click All Programs.
- Select Accessories and then click Remote Desktop Connection.
- In Computer, type the name of the computer you would like to connect to, and click Connect.
How to use VNC (Virtual Network Computing)
VNC is a free app that allows you to see the desktop of a remote machine and control it with your own mouse and keyboard.
- Go to RealVNC to download and install the software for free. You will need to do this on all the computers you want to connect to remotely.
- Select Service mode during the installation process, which will run VNC as a Windows service.
- Once everything is set up, click Start > All Programs > Real VNC > VNC Viewer 4 > Run VNC Viewer. A dialog box will open. Type the IP address of the computer you would like to connect remotely too and click OK.
How to use LogMeIn
LogMeIn requires you to sign up for an account before you can install the software. You can connect any device to your computer this way.
- Go to LogMeIn.com and install the software. You will need to do this on every computer you wish to access.
- Make sure everything is on and connected to the Internet.
- Log in with your computer username and password. This will connect you.
How to use TeamViewer
Like LogMeIn, TeamViewer allows you to connect a variety of devices remotely. You will need to sign up for an account to go ahead.
- Download the TeamViewer app from teamviewer.com. You will have to do this on any device you wish to connect.
- Launch the Installer and follow the onscreen instructions. For installation type, select Yes to install the host software and then click Next.
- The app will prompt you to set up access. Set a name and password for the computer and click Next.
- You will be asked for your login details. Click Next and then click Finish to complete the set-up.
- Follow the same steps on the other device. After you have set the descriptive name and password for this device, select I already have a TeamViewer account. Fill in your details and click Next. Click Finish to complete the setup.
- To connect remotely, open the software and go to the My Partners tab. Double-click the name of the computer you want to connect to.
- The computer’s display will appear in a new window. You can use your keyboard and mouse as normal.
There are other ways to connect two computers remotely, but these offer the easiest ways to do it. They are also the most secure, by operating through passwords and establishing strict links between devices.
It had originally started as an April’s Fool joke for 2014, but has since become loved by those who dared to download it.
One reviewer, for instance, goes on to say:
Incredible Top notch graphics, gripping storyline, great gameplay. What more do you need? Play this game to discover yourself.
And what is your task? Stare at the black screen, and tap it when it flashes white. The screen can stay black for anywhere from 1 second to, wait for it, one month.
And what happens when you tap on the black screen? Well, it’s game over I’m afraid. Retry?
An Easter Event started today in the popular free browser game, Forge of Empires.
You can hide Easter Eggs in other players’ cities, and others can hide Easter Eggs in your city.
As the official website update says:
“A special visitor will return to your realm, bringing with her a selection of items, including several new and unique ones. Get these items by spending Easter Eggs that you can find in your city or earn through a series of special event quests.
We’ll be giving you 25 free eggs when the event begins, to get you started.”
“The Easter Event 2014 introduces new event buildings and avatars, plus a new Great Building which spans across all the ages. It’ll also be possible to upgrade special buildings from previous events to your current age, using the brand new renovation kit available from the Easter trader.”
If you are not playing yet, you can easily start to build your own empire by clicking here.
The next DLC (downloadable content) for the immensely popular Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition will be available to download for Xbox 360 from April 18, as announced recently by 4J Studios, the makers of the game. With the Candy Texture Pack, Minecraft will look like it is made entirely out of sugary treats.
In the meantime, you can download the main Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition from the Xbox Marketplace. To download the content to your Xbox 360 console, you need to be logged in with the same Microsoft credentials as you use to play.
By Gergely Sumegi
Forge of Empires is a free, browser based game developed by InnoGames.
In the game, you can build your own city and develop it throughout the ages, from stone age to the modern and finally the postmodern era.
To advance from one era to the next, you have to explore new technologies to unlock new ways to develop your city. In the meantime, you can conquer neighbouring areas for new resources, or you may contact them peacefully.
Click here to read more info and tips about the game.
Microsoft acknowledged the backlash against Windows 8 by launching 8.1, and it seems they are about to go a step further. For those who absolutely hate the whole Metro UI, they can look forward to the return of the full Start menu with Windows 8.2. The desktop mode will integrate the Start menu Windows users have known and loved since Windows 95, while incorporating Metro apps to float on the desktop screen. While it may not be enough to appease the more hardcore of anti-Windows 8 users, it is an even bigger step forward (or backward, whichever way you look at it) than 8.1 was.
Apple is taking part in the international Code.org project this Wednesday. The project, which is designed to get even the most basic of computer users to grips with computer programming, is designed to offer free one-hour sessions to both adults and children. Apple will hold sessions across all its US stores throughout the day. “It’s a one-hour introduction to computer science, designed to demystify code and show that anyone can learn the basics of programming,” the tech giant explained on its website, before quoting former vice president Al Gore. “‘The ability to code and understand the world of programming is crucial to success in today’s hyper-connecting world.'”
Source: iOS App Store
According to the Microsoft website, retail sales for Windows 7 have ended, and have been over as of October 30. The next deadline for Windows 7, which reflects PCs with it preinstalled, is October 30 2014. This is standard practice for Microsoft, whose policy is to stop selling an older operating system in retail one year after the launch of its successor (2 years to stop shipping to OEMs). With Windows 8 having launched in October last year, the time is ripe for Windows 7 to start being phased out to make its successor the default.
There is a huge emphasis on mobile-specific on-demand services right now, and music streaming service Spotify has taken note of this. The company currently offers unlimited mobile music streaming for $10 a month, but has recently penned deals with labels like Sony Music Entertainment and Universal Music Group with the view to up their ad-based services and offer free streaming instead. While Spotify has a similar service available for desktop and laptops, this doesn’t include unlimited music streaming. Mobile users opting for the free service will also find limitations – although they will be able to choose what tracks to listen to, they will only get a limited number of on-demand songs per month. More details will be revealed during a press conference next week.